Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ben the Bricky and giant beams arrive!

Ben started with the internal wall, poor bugger had a bad cold and the weather was not as nice as it should be, I can't believe its Christmas Day tomorrow. I need to go shopping as I have no presents for the boys! Carrafour here we come.


I made him eat stew!
Looking good Ben!
Larder, Wardrobe and bathroom all taking shape in brick.
Rich and Simon had a small road trip to collect the large timber beams for the roof supports. We have been put in contact with a great wood merchants by Jose, the problem is that it's a 2 hour drive away. However, the low prices really really, make it worth while driving that far. They arrived back in the dark and we called on some "Oranges", Miles and Ollie to come and help unload in the dark. Poor Ollie trapped his finger, hope it does not stop him from climbing!

Careful Ollie!
Next day was Christmas Day and we had arranged a rest day. The plan was to play on the crag above the house, do some new routing and play on the mountain board. Change of plan as it decided to piss it down and spoil our fun. Good job we had Mums house to go and hide in. Christmas dinner of roast veg, ready cooked chickens, Aunt Bessies and loads of chocolates helped to make it feel a little better and was very chilled. Ben slept through his meal poor thing!

We wanted to go back to work on Boxing day but ........ the rain makes the road impossible to drive up and down and its blowing a gale, great to dry everything out but Ben can't do any brick work and Simon can't work with the frame. Also the caravan leaks right over our pillows, the ground around the caravans is a mud bath, the dogs have no where to go, the horses are miserable. You can imagine my mood is improving daily!

Thursday and the sun is out again and the wind has dropped, time to start again. Rich helps Simon to frame out the top support, this is the frame that will take all the large beams. The Nissan is used to takes a few of the giant beams up at a time so all looking better.

Rich will head down on Friday to collect the rest of them, but we need to do some work on the large trailer first, Rich is worried about the bolts holding the tow bar in place. Lets hope the shops are open today!

Rich and Simon showing how strong the frame is!
I get a email later that afternoon from the wood place to say they are only open in the morning but Rich can't find the bolts he needs so is not that happy to head back down. All the main shops that we can think to try for the bolts are bloody closed! We had pinched bolts from the old caravans, horse box etc and it would be pushing it to head down again. Sometimes this country really can make life a challenge. We decide to head down on Monday. Later that afternoon I remember a great shop in Altea for builders bits, Rich heads over on his motorbike and is a happy bunny when he finds what he needs. He heads back over and starts to repair the trailer, would you believe though he bought the wrong size! Stay calm Sam he can head on over again in the morning, only that will be Saturday and who knows if it is open on a Saturday morning! Yes it is and finally we have a safe trailer to use for the rest of the roof.

THEN, we receive an email from Isabelle at the wood yard saying they are now closed for the holidays and they will reopen on the 7th! I really don't believe this.

I translate the email from Spanish into English and thank goodness she said that someone would be in the office on the Monday morning and if we want to, we can come down and collect. Sort of a good thing as Simon leaves on Sunday and he is really the only one that can fit the roof as he has redesigned how the beams will sit on the frame.

Top frame complete.
The top frame is now complete, Ben has gone back to the UK to spend New Year in Manchester and time for the windows to go in. We had a stroke of luck with our windows thanks to facebook.

We have a page over here called "sell your stuff Spain". You would never, ever believe the stuff that people try to sell, but you can find some bargains. In May I spotted a girl advertising a selection of 7 windows that had been taken from a house that was demolished as the owner didn't like the way it faced! The house cost her a cool 1 million euros!

The girl was asking around 300 euros each window and some are massive and all hard wood and double glazed. I got in touch and I knew that it was a bargain but as the house was so far in the future I said we could not afford that much. I decided to keep my eye on the advert and I did see them coming down in the price a few times. I still didn't think it was time to make an offer.

A few months passed and then one day I happened to see that she said "anyone make me an offer around 500€ and they can come and take the lot". I jumped on the pc and said "we can come and get them today". When we arrived I was so shocked at the quality and size. 2 are also stained glass arched top windows. When she asked for 400 I was even more happy. I do know that these are the best bargain for the house.

Bedroom window in place, not a bad view!

Afternoon sun through the stained glass!
Monday and time to head down and collect the rest of the beams! Why is nothing in my life bloody simple! Rich says "can you call em before I leave to make sure they are open". Good idea only my ipad has died that has the number on it, laptop screen has buggered and the battery power has died as not enough sun for the solar panels! AND we can't start the generator as we put all the fuel in the car last night and forgot to buy more! ;0) happiness happiness!!!!!

Rich says he will set off anyway and I say I will call them when the power comes back on. I can't head to The Orange House as Jose is on his way!

I finally get the number and call Yecla wood yard. Paco says "hola" and I try in my crap, stupid Spanish to explain that my husband in on route and please can he let him in. He says "well I am only here for a short while as I have to go to the bank and if the wood is not ready that he can't take it. SHIT! I call Rich to see how long he will be, but he loves to play his music loud and does not answer. Things just get better and better. At last Rich calls me back, I call Paco and tell him Rich is 30 mins away and please don't leave.  Wood collected and Rich on route back, bloody hell please can things start to go a little better.

Simon is making great progress and we have all the windows in place. Rich takes over the brick wall and Orange House starting to get quieter, all is looking better.

It can't last can it?

Little Pippa found a nice spot to hide! 








No comments:

Post a Comment